POWER OUTAGE PREPARATION
At Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro, we do our best to make sure you always have power at the flick of a switch, but at times, due to our ever changing weather conditions, like extreme cold, blizzards or high winds, we are unable to guarantee uninterrupted service. Most power outages last for just a few moments. In extreme cases, outages can last for more than a day.
When your power goes out, be prepared.
- Find a flashlight.
- Check to see if the power is out in your neighborhood. If it is not, check your circuit breaker panel or fuse box and replace fuses with the same size only, or reset breakers if required. If you aren't sure what to do, call an electrician.
- Call Hydro's Power Outage and Emergencies line at 1-888-764-9376 (1-888-76-HYDRO).
- Turn off all your light switches except one, which will signal you when the power comes back on.
- Turn off all appliances with sensitive electronics such as your garage door opener, microwaves, televisions, computers, etc.
- Don't turn off your refrigerator or freezer - you might forget to turn them back on.
BEFORE a power outage occurs, prepare an emergency kit and include the following items:
- extra batteries;
- matches and candles (place candles on stable furniture in sturdy holders, away from children and pets, and never leave candles unattended.);
- if you have a fireplace, keep firewood handy;
- first aid kit;
- bottled water (2 litres per person per day);
- any medications you may need;
- battery or crank operated radio;
- corded telephone or a fully charged cell phone;
- non-perishable foods;
- warm clothing and blankets;
- games, cards and books to keep everyone busy.
In case of an Electrical Emergency such as downed wires, lightning strikes, etc, call Hydro's Power Outage and Emergencies line at 1-888-764-9376 (1-888-76-HYDRO). You may also need to call the local authorities, RCMP or RNC. Remember to stay away from downed wires - do not touch them or try to move them. Never attempt to move anything caught in downed power lines.
Cooking Safety Precautions
Portable stoves, lamps and other camping equipment can be useful, but they should be stored, along with their fuels, in a shed or garage that is separated from the house. Liquid fuels give off combustible vapours and should be kept outside the house at all times. Outdoor and charcoal barbecues should never be used indoors. They are a fire and safety hazard, and can emit deadly carbon monoxide.