WHEN POWER IS RESTORED
- Turn on the most essential equipment first. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before turning up thermostats and reconnecting appliances, to give the electricity system a chance to stabilize.
- Make sure your refrigerator and freezer are back on. Check all frozen foods to determine the extent of thawing. Check carefully for signs of spoilage. If in doubt, throw it out!
- If flooding occurred, have an electrician check your electricity system before turning the power back on.
- Turn off standby equipment. Reset clocks, automatic timers and alarms.
- Restock any emergency supplies used during the outage.