SAFE HIGHWAY DRIVING
Long weekends mean lots of traffic on the province's highways.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind while driving on the highway this summer:
- Ensure your car is highway ready: check brakes, fluids and windshield wipers.
- Weather conditions and the time of day can affect visibility - don't assume fellow motorists can see you.
- Signal well in advance, avoid braking abruptly and leave lots of room for passing .
- Slow down in poor weather conditions, such as rain and fog.
- Keep a vigilant watch for moose and other wildlife.
- Avoid driving at night if at all possible.
- Use a hands-free device to make phone calls and never text while driving.