Fall is a great time to take a hike in the wilderness. Here are some guidelines to make your trip more enjoyable.
- Wear proper hiking footwear that has good ankle support.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Carry a first aid kit and cell phone.
- Bring extra water and snacks.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable and bring extra socks and a jacket or sweater.
- Bring a whistle and make some noise if you are in bear or moose territory.
- If you are hiking with children, keep it age appropriate.
- Only consume wild berries if you are absolutely certain they are not poisonous.
- Take note of your path, and the direction you are travelling. Notice things along the trail in case you need to retrace your steps.
- Teach children to "hug a tree" and stay calm if they get separated.