Staying hydrated is an important part of maintaining a healthy body and mind. Water is an essential nutrient and is vital to the proper functioning of your body. Staying hydrated helps to move nutrients and waste through your body, helps maintain healthy blood pressure, regulates your body temperature and helps to protect your joints and organs.
To ensure you stay hydrated pay attention to signs of dehydration throughout the day:
Are you thirsty? Do you have a dry mouth? Is your urine a dark yellow colour? Does your urine have a strong odour? Are you light headed and tired? Are you having frequent headaches?
To stay hydrated follow these tips:
- Drinks lots of water throughout the day.
- Keep water handy at school, work, home and play.
- You can drink juice and milk to supplement your water intake.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks that can cause dehydration.
- Sip on water while eating.
- Water is best but if you want to add some flavor use lemons, limes and even cucumbers.
- Drinks lots while playing sports or working outside.