Just as teachers, books, and homework go hand-in-hand with children's school year, so should safety for adults.
- Slow down in school zones, and observe speed limits.
- Make sure your child uses the sidewalks and crosses the street at crosswalks.
- If your child walks to school, either accompany him or her, or have your child walk in a group.
- If your child rides a bus, tell them to sit in their seat until the bus has stopped at the school.
- Make sure they know where to get off on the way home.
- Teach young children their address and phone number.
- Check with the school about policies on allergies and what food items are restricted or not allowed.
- Teach your child to wash their hands after using the washroom and before eating snacks.
- Make sure their knapsack fits them comfortably and is not too heavy.
- Teach children not to talk to strangers or approach a stranger in a car.