Winter driving must be smart driving. These tips will make you safe and ready for the road.
- Plan your route and let someone know where you're going and when you should return.
- Charge your cell phone fully.
- Clear your car completely, including headlamps, taillights and roof.
- Always buckle up.
- Slow down.
- Ensure safe stopping by leaving 3X more space between you and the car in front.
- Turn on your lights, even if you have running lights, to activate taillights.
- Use lower gears to increase traction even with an automatic transmission.
- Take extra care on bridges, overpasses, and infrequently travelled streets as these will freeze first.
- Stay in the right-hand lane except when passing and use turn signals when changing lanes.
- Steer smoothly while braking or accelerating to avoid skidding.
- If you do begin to skid, apply gentle pressure to the brake, look where you want to go and steer in that direction.
- Do not pass sand trucks or snow plows.